Thursday, February 14, 2008

Into the Mystic

I always liked the Van Morrison song, "Into the mystic", but gotta admit, I don't understand what in the world it is about. Aside from that, when I hear the word "mystic" or more directly "mysticism", it conjures up in my brain images of beaded, peace sign tatooed, nature fetished hippie types, hugging trees for some undefined type of "spiritual experience". Pretty weird, huh? I really need to work on these stereotypes I have floating around in my head.

As I have been reading more and more on the missional vs. emergent thing, this whole concept of "mysticism" keeps popping up. What I can't seem to get my brain around is if the term has been adulterated in practice within the emergent movement to be more reflective of my bad stereotype or is it really about making doctrine secondary to feelings? I am not making a statement, it is really the question I have, since there appears to be such disparity between the different congregations within the emergent movement.

Personally, I have a firm conviction that real Christianity, the kind that changes us, is both axiological and mystical. However, I mean this only in this sense: we come to a cognitive assurance of what is true (axiological), which is also "felt" to be true in our hearts (mystical). Without that "feeling" of what is true, I don't know that anyone would stay the course. I am not saying that our feelings are primary. Our faith preceeds our feelings. However, that does not negate the feelings does it?

So here is the question for you to ponder: Pragmatically, what role do feelings play in your day-to-day relationship with Christ?

6 comments:

Cherie said...

I love that song!!! But you know I probably fit that steroetype, right?
As for the question you pose, in my day to day walk with Jesus
Christ, I find that it is my feelings that need to come under His authority and be "crucified" most of the time before I can cheerfully obey Him. More than any other thing I struggle most with ungodly emotions (feelings). That is just my experience...I have come to almost always second guess my feelings and have to ask the Holy Spirit to help me decern my own heart.(Of course, always in the light of God's Word. If it weren't for His Word I would have nothing to measure myself against.) My heart evil beyond all measure and desperately wicked and I find myself deceived by it constantly. So much for confession time...that may have been way off what you were intending to ask with that question. So as for feelings...well I rarely trust mine!

Cherie said...

Thanks for the dinner out tonight...but that huge cup of cafe con leche ruined any chance of sleep tonight. Don't let me do that again.:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Buddie,

It was good to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by my dormant page. I read this post and thought, "Buddie and I think a lot alike." Concerning your post, I agree that both have a place.

Buddy said...

Dale
thanks for stopping by. We sure miss you guys

Recovering Noah said...

Great post, Buddy. But I didn't understand a word of it. Could you do it again in English? Too many big words when you've been conversing mainly with toddlers for the last few years. :-)

Leslie

Buddy said...

Leslie...you're hilarious!