Monday, March 3, 2008

Sweeping Under the Doormat...


I was reading tonight some material and came across the story of a young woman who was attempting to join Spurgeon's church in London one day, and she was asked, "What makes you think you have become a Christian?" Not understanding all the Bible doctrines of conversion and regeneration, she simply responded, "Because now I sweep under the doormat!"

I really like that answer. The walk we are called to is not about the appearance that we can put on, as if by any stretch you or I could do anything to impress God. So who do we put those famous Sunday appearances on for that we hold to so tightly? Why do you insists on wearing that suit and tie on Sunday? Who are you hoping is going to be "scoping" that new Easter dress and hat you just purchased? Does God marvel at those things? Is he impressed? I talked with another man this weekend, who told me he couldn't go to church this past Sunday because his only pair of jeans have holes in them and they are grease stained. I don't blame the man for that (though we spoke about it in length to correct his thinking) but what is wrong with this picture?

I read the report that was released concerning the state of the church and guess what, WE'RE LOSING! What does it take to really stir our hearts? Does the fact that someone would miss hearing the preaching of God's word because of the condition of his clothes, upset you and I more than, the fact that he knows in his heart that we would look down on him if he came in the clothes he had? If we are really going to impact our world, we must start looking beyond what people are seeing and focus on how we are going to deal with what only we know is really under the mat. I am excited because I see this happening all around me and I am encouraged because I know that Revival is coming!

I'll admit that for me to say that "WE'RE LOSING" is probably misleading and really to get more of a rise out of you than anything. Because the truth is that Christ's true church is thriving. He himself has promised that even the gates of hell will not prevail against it. God will preserve the church. However, in saying that, I'm nearly certain that He will not preserve the "church" culture that well intentioned folks have created, to cushion and isolate themselves from the world.

I'm so excited about the new series we are starting this week at Cornerstone. Over the next 13 weeks we are going to be teaching from the book of Acts. Of course, Acts is the short name we have given for the book that is really titled "The Acts of the Apostles", which could better be called the "The Acts of the Holy Spirit as He Worked Through the Lives of the Apostles as they Confronted the Culture of Their Time", but I guess that would be a little too long, huh? It is pretty exciting stuff to study the first and true "missional" church, the very thing we are suppose to be continuing even to this day. I eagerly anticipate the fact we are going to be challenged to move into the marketplace, schools, workplaces, etc. of our area, and to take the Christianity that we profess out to confront the culture that is around us. "A faith that is not tested, is not worth holding".

So if you're in the neighborhood on Sunday and only have a pair of grease stained, holy, jeans please come worship and study with us at Cornerstone. We will have the welcome mat out for you and it has been well swept underneath.

17 comments:

Recovering Noah said...

So I didn't need to run out the moment Nandini peed all over my skirt on Sunday?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :-)

Great post. I grew up in a church where you had to wear your Sunday best every Sunday - and a bow in your hair! (This was the 80's, mind you). When it came time to look for a church out here, I begged Simeon to let me go shopping for Sunday clothes (he wouldn't). The point is that not having "fancy Sunday clothes" (according to how I was raised) made me very insecure about going to church. Sad isn't it?

Leslie

Michael Cooper said...

Praise the Lord for the Acts our brothers did in the early church! I'm actually reading through that book as well in my daily readings!

Anonymous said...

"Wear your Sunday best" is the theme that I grew up with. I kind of likened it to "Little House on the Prairie" episodes, when they had that one outfit that was pulled out each Sunday or for weddings or funerals. It was a sign of respect to wear the best clothes they had when they presented themselves before the Lord.

However, it does seem that our "Sunday best" has turned into a judgemental expectation at times.

Honestly, it really doesn't bother me what anyone wears to church unless it is revealing or blatantly disrespectful to God. I would much prefer seeing people in church in their stained jeans as opposed to not coming at all. Yet, I often judge my own appearance by a different standard.

Just this past Sunday, Kenneth laughed at me when I had inquired about the normal attire for Cornerstone. I wanted to dress in a way that wouldn't disrespect God, but would also make others feel welcome in whatever they showed up wearing. So....I compromised (hee hee)...jeans with dressy shoes!! lol

It's probably my deep rooted independent Baptist heritage, but it still feels weird to not wear a dress on Sunday! Not that I'm saying it's necessarily wrong to wear pants, but just strange at this point.

I don't know what I'm saying ;) Somebody set me straight, because the more I write on this, the more confused I get....lol

Mike said...

I know exactly what you're talking about Julie because I have faced the same issues. Still do on some things, I was actually talking to Buddy about that today. I had to ask myself this, why do we not wear suits and ties and dresses the other 6 days of the week if we feel God is so concerned with our clothes on Sunday?

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I'm not sure anyone wants to see you in a dress ANY day of the week, but if you do wear one on Sunday, just know that you are still welcome at Cornerstone..haha

Seriously, though, I have never seen where there was a problem with people and the clothes they wear unless it was revealing or very "anti-God". Maybe I just haven't paid attention to the clothing issue in church until the last few years when for the first time, I began hearing comments about it.

A person should feel welcome in any church wearing a suit or a dress or jeans and a t-shirt. I just personally feel because it's God's house that we should try to represent Christ in our clothing inside and outside the church.

Anonymous said...

"why do we not wear suits and ties and dresses the other 6 days of the week if we feel God is so concerned with our clothes on Sunday?"

Well, the reason I have always dressed "up" on Sunday is because it is the day set apart for worship. It has been something special -- a day devoted to God and being in God's house. Consequently, I have always worn my "Sunday best" on that day.

Here's another question.... ;)
Why do we wear dresses, hose, suit and ties to the office during the week, and jeans and a t-shirt on Sunday? (lol....just trying to confuse everyone as much as I am!)

Buddy said...

Julie...I can answer your question for myself.

First, the reason I wear a suit to the office is because my profession requires that I do my best to make a good impression on other men and women. In short, I am trying to gain their approval. It's a mask....because the truth of the matter is, I would much rather be in wholly jeans and a good worn out t-shirt, but men would be offended by that.

That said, the reason that I don't wear them on Sunday is two-fold. First, I don't think that the house of God is a building. Also, I love going to my father's house, where I don't have to put on a thing to impress Him, because He knows me as I am. Whenever, I go visit my mom and dad in Indiana, I take the most casual clothes in my closet, because the best time is just spent fishing with dad or laying around the house, but ultimately being real (vuneralbe and intimate) in the time we're together. In fact, I think rather than being honored they would be offended if I insisted on being formal with them. Isn't it funny that we do that with God who knows us better than our parents and wants even a greater level of intamacy with us?

I just want to say that I think whether we do it out of reverence or don't do it out of an expression of our desire for intimacy with God, these reasons are right. I really don't care what someone wears as long as it doesn't become a stumbling block, which it definitely has in the situation that I referenced, which makes me extremely sad.

I will tell you why we wear our Sunday best from a true historical perspective in my next post.

Anonymous said...

I was reading tonight some material and came across the story of a young woman who was attempting to join Spurgeon's church in London one day, and she was asked, "What makes you think you have become a Christian?" Not understanding all the Bible doctrines of conversion and regeneration, she simply responded, "Because now I sweep under the doormat!"

GOOD POST, AND THE STORY SAYS IT ALL.
TRUE SALVATION ALWAYS SHOWS CHANGE

Mike said...

HA HA, finally I can't be accused of being a hypocrite....I wear jeans to work and church WOOHOO!!!! Not like that mask guy Buddy!! Seriously though, I agree 100% that we have to get out of the mindset of a building being the church.

Mike said...

Oh yeah, I forgot this too... I understand what you're saying Julie but shoudn't every day be set aside for God, week long worship and not weekend??.... I know you don't fall into that category but that is true for millions of professing Christians and the driving force behind many of mans traditions and rituals..

Anonymous said...

Ok, what I am realizing is that many things I am saying could be considered "catch phrases"---"churchy language" instilled in my vocabulary for a long time.

For instance, the building where the church (people) meet together each week, has been referred to as "the church" for ages. (i.e. "We're going to church this Sunday.") Same thing goes for the statement regarding the "house of God". (i.e. "church" (building) aka the "house of God")

I also realize that to alot of professing Christian people, these phrases are taken without the context of a daily, personal walk with God.

So to clarify, I thought I would make sure everyone understands that I consider the church/house of God to be God's people, not a building.

Still....what do we call that square thing with walls and concrete and furniture?

You can get the "church" out of the "church", but you can't get the "church" to go to "church", especially when the "church" isn't being a "church" whether they're in "church" or not. (My new evangelical statement!) lol :) :)

(Now you know where Pam gets the air molecule theory!!!)

Anonymous said...

Wow..would ya'll please pray for me?...now you know who and what i have to live with ;)

All I know is that Jesus wore a dress and flip-flops...so as long as I'm wearing one of the two...it's biblical right?!

Buddy said...

Kenya...that is awesome!!! Though I am with your dad, I don't think Mike should wear one (a dress), though if he does he will be welcome at CSC. We are just going to be praying that much harder for him. :)

Julie, just when I think I understand what you're saying...?hmmmm....could you run that by me again?

Anonymous said...

Sure Buddy......
Churchblahblahblahchurchblahblahblahchurchblahchurchchurchblahchurch.

Ok, I quit :)

Buddy said...

no don't quit!

Mike said...

Why does my name keep getting slung around??? You people are all nuts....

Kenya brings up a good point though and it gives a whole new meaning to walk as Jesus walked....

see you guys at the square thing with concrete floors this Sunday!!

Cherie said...

When do you all find time to blog! I know every one of you is busier than I am...and I can't find time to even read my own husband's post.
Do any of you ever sleep? I know Buddy's answer, "There is no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need any." I don't know what that makes me cuz I need ATLEAST eight hours/ night.