Saturday, January 6, 2007

He should be enough!

In my christian journey I have come to realize that the chief end of my existence is to bring glory to God. That is to say, I understand that I am here for Him and it is not the other way around. I know that sounds silly, yet I must embarrassingly admit that while I have known this truth in theory since my conversion, it is not something I truly realized in practice. For many years I, like many of the Christians I attempt to lead in worship every Sunday, saw myself at the center of God's universe. I was told that Christ loved ME; that He died for ME; the Bible was His word to ME; that He was in heaven preparing a place for ME, and so on. That is not to say that these are not clear truth's that are certainly revealed in scripture. The problem is that I somehow let myself twist the message in my mind to a point that I became duped into believing that God's work was all about me. Though I didn't even realize it at the time, I came to view Him merely as a means to an end. I didn't treasure Him, but rather treasured what He had to offer.

Worship is the method that we use to ascribe God's value to us, back to Him. Therefore, it is impossible to worship Him if at our core He is not really what we value. How precious is He to you really? Is God (Christ) alone your treasure or do you see Him, as I did for many years, as merely a means to an end? If heaven were a place that contained all of the richness of what God has promised, but He was not there, would you still want to go?

1 comment:

Cherie said...

This is cool Bud...I would post something deep,something that would show great wisdom but it is 4:44 am and I'm too tired to be wise. Good job, honey!