Monday, January 15, 2007

We owe it to Him to think about it


"Among the many acts of gratitude we owe to God, it may be accounted one to study and contemplate the perfections and beauties of His work of creation. Every new discovery must necessarily raise in us a fresh sense of the greatness, wisdom, and power of God." Jonathan Edwards


We are studying creation is sunday school throughout the month of January. Last week we were looking at some of the hubble images of the cosmos. It simply blows your mind when you stop to consider the vastness, the beauty, and agelessness of this single aspect of His creation. You cannot truly attempt to wrap your brain around these things, without feeling incredibly small and finite. It also stirs another feeling; that of being nothing less than blown away by the vastness of Him who created it all.


Edwards said that our contemplation of these things is something that we owe God and serves as one way of expressing our gratitude to Him. No doubt He hung every bit of it out there for His glory and for our contemplation. (Isaiah 40:25-28) Are you feeling awestruck by God lately? No! Well maybe you should take some time to stop and really consider what He has made. Our consideration of such things always produces wonder and worship of His greatness, His wisdom and His power. What is it in God's creation that makes you stand in awe of Him?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had many moments of awe and wonder in the past 10 yrs. of motherhood. It is hard not to see God's creative hand when I consider my children and how wonderfully unique He has made each of them and to see His purposes coming to fruition in their lives.

Anonymous said...

You know what I think is interesting? In all of Gods creation, He only delights in us. Each one of us being a thinking, feeling, creative, growing, learning, failing, conquering...universe in ourselves. When I think about the Lord of creation, I think about how cool it is that He knows how to build a planet that can sustain me and keep me safe from this crazy universe of flying particles and burning stars. I think whats more awesome than that is how He saved me from my poor existence. How He brought me to His salvation, a plan he had for me before there ever were planets and stars. How He guides me by His spirit.

When God created the heavens and earth He gave everything in the earth seed and it reproduces on its own. He only had to speak it one time and it is still happening. Whats wild is that He is still speaking to us on a daily basis, giving us ideas and giving those ideas seed and life. The Lord of creation is working in us! Not that we have obtained a god status, but that He has obtained a place to work in me.