Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Church Sign by Any Other Design...



For several weeks now we have been pushing around ideas for what the church sign should look like. I threw this one into the mix tonight for consideration. It is not the traditional church sign, I know. In fact, it was met with the comment that it might look like there is a new bar in town.

I thought for a moment and actually considered that given the group that we are trying to reach that this might be a good thing. I think at this point in ministry, I would rather get the lost into the church and "preach the cross" to them than put it on a sign and scare them off. What would you think if you saw this sign 25' in the air above the skyline of Mabank?

12 comments:

Cherie said...

Wow

Unknown said...

I like it... maybe you could have the text upside down!

Anonymous said...

it looks very urban....like they all just left Starbucks

Anonymous said...

It's definitely thought provoking. I'll probably have to look at it two or three more times. It takes me a while to process new information.

mandy said...

i really really really like it... it feels po-mo and reaches genXers & genYers quickly.
it speaks of belonging. of friendships. of genuine community... it promises visitors that they won't have to stand alone in life.
i don't know anything at all about your church, so this is in NO way a critique of your church. but, if this becomes the "face" of your church, do all y'all can to create an atmosphere/culture of community within the church. visitors will be expecting this type of environment...
blessings!

Mike said...

I'm really trying to give this a chance Buddy, really... wow... I think I'm somewhere between the speechless Julie and the wowed Cherie, whatever that may be.

Buddy said...

Mike...you crack me up!!!

Buddy said...

Mandy I hope that expectation is anticipated and experienced by every person that darkens the door at Cornerstone. We are a "come as you are" type group with the desire to form true Christian community. If everyone saw it like you, it would be a done deal for me, because what you describe is exactly what I hope we convey.

Anonymous said...

Is that Jennifer Aniston standing third from the right?

Cherie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I like it. In fact it reminds me a lot of our new logo that we are working on right now for first mansfield. You can look at the rough draft here...http://www.geocities.com/jowiki_file/image.jpg
We are not done with it yet but you can easily see that we are trying to reach the families that live here in Mansfield. Keep up the good work. I was actually getting on here to see how the church is doing. Jacki and I hope so much for Cornerstone. The lake area really needs what you guys are doing down there.

Buddy said...

thanks Josh. We sure miss seeing you guys.