Sunday, July 1, 2007

Homesick for God

The clock has just turned to the 2:06am mark on my PC. Why am I up so late? I had to make an appearance at a client's dinner party with Cher in Dallas and we had friends graciously offer to take care of the girls. This was especially a big deal because we don't let our girls "sleep over" at other people's houses. Tonight was our first foray into this, but only out of necessity. Shortly after midnight I got the call. On the other end of the phone I heard the sweet voice of my daughter, "daddy, I'm home sick". "I'll be right there" I said and grabbed my keys.

I suppose that some might feel perturbed from having to go out after midnight, but honestly, I felt delighted to do it. It causes a father's heart to swell when his child makes a declaration that they want to be where he is. For little girls different houses, different beds, and different surroundings on a first time sleep-over cause them to make that kind of declaration and their father's delight in responding to them.

To be honest though, I have been reminded over the past weeks that different houses, different surroundings, etc. also make God's adult children respond in much the same way. Tonight I am homesick. With all of the changes and new ministry directions I declare to the Lord that I long to be in His presence. I can't get enough of it! As I sit here and reflect on my experience with my daughter, I know, that He is delighted when I call to Him. He is never perturbed to answer, even when I am making that call to Him at 2am sitting here in front of my computer.

He is a Father who is truly crazy about each of us, His children. He is delighted to respond when we simply declare, "Father, I'm homesick."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said...and so relevant to the post I made BEFORE I even read this. "when his child makes a declaration that they want to be where he is"...that's me, I just want to be where He is.

Julie