Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sovereignty Over Aimlessness

I think one of the greatest and often overlooked gifts that we have as
Christians is the purpose given to us at our conversion, which serves
as the framework for our lives and gives everything that we do
meaning. It didn't hit me until I recently picked up a novel at the
bookstore written by a secular author. I rarely read fiction and, in
fact, stopped about two-thirds of the way through this one because the
story became so debase. But what struck me before I put it down was
the paradigm of the author as he was trying to extract some meaningful
story of the protagonist's life from a world that the author, as was
evident from his writing, deems to be chaotic.

I forgot what aimlessness feels like. I haven't truly felt it since
before I gave my life to Christ. Since that time I have come to
understand that God is truly sovereign. Therefore everything in the
life of the Christian who has truly surrendered his life to Christ has
a purpose, whether it appears good or bad to us at the moment. The
only time we feel aimless is when we refuse to acknowledge God's
sovereignty in our struggle.

I feel genuinly sad for any individual who is aimlessly absent of this
knowledge and this confidence especially in these troubled times. I
pray that God would further grant me the grace to point others to the
meaning I have discovered in Him.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: