Friday, May 14, 2010

The Power of Intention

I think one of the things that I am really discovering in 2010 so far is the power of being intentional. This seems to be the resonating lesson that I am to grasp so far. There is such power in living our lives intentionally! I am not just talking about the big hairy audacious goals that we plan to conquer, but even down to the smallest things, such as the food that I put in my mouth, the way that I address a co-worker, the date night that I plan with my wife or the time that I spend in meditation and prayer.
I looked up the word intention on dictionary.com and really liked one of the definitions: "meaning, significance". That is what it is really all about. It is so easy at times for me to change any repetitious task into a mindless routine, that I miss the opportunity of recognizing the significance and meaning of the moment. That is such a shame!
I think this is what Paul may have had in mind in his exhortation of whether we eat, drink or do anything, to do it all for the glory of God.
I am a pretty results oriented person. If there is a goal, I want to hit it. If there is competition associated with the goal, I want to win. This is the type of compulsive sickness that our society applauds. Nevertheless, I think one of the things that the Lord is showing me is that the significance to life is not the results that we produce, but the fact that we are producing intentionally. Opportunities missed are gone forever.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Good post. I did want to say that when you were blogging I did enjoy reading. : )

Anonymous said...

How about intentionally blogging? :)