Thursday, February 8, 2007

Desiring God

A few weeks ago I purchased John Piper's "Desiring God". I have to say that I have found this to be one of the most spiritually provocative books that I have waded through in a long time. I am captivated by the third chapter on worship. It is like taking a drink from a firehose.

"All of the works of God culminate in the praises of His redeemed people. The climax of His happiness is the delight He takes in the echoes of His excellence in the praises of the saints. This praise is the consummation of our own joy in God. Therefore, God's pursuit of praise from us and our pursuit of pleasure in Him are the same pursuit. This is the great gospel!"

John Piper Desiring God

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy, I am a big fan of John Piper. I have several books by him and the Desiring God.I believe his the best teach\preacher of our time. Your going yo love the book.

Anonymous said...

It's long...I started it my freshman year in college and am almost done with it. :o)

Anonymous said...

Jacki and Buddy, it is long, but what wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've been thinking about looking into John Piper, and you've inspired me to take the plunge! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Anonymous said...

John Piper is sooo good...I used to think that he was just another old guy that my dad talked about, but he has a way of saying things that is so inspiring.

Buddy said...

Wow! Funny you never know what is going to peaks someone's interest.

by the way....Kenya he is just one of the many old guys that your dad talks about.

Hooray for the old guys!!!!

Andrea Mullins said...

"knowing and loving God is our greatest privilege, and being known and loved is God's greatest pleasure."-Rick Warren

Buddy said...

Welcome Mark! That sounds like Piper's explanation of Christian Hedonism...Warren style. Thanks for sharing that...what a great quote!

Anonymous said...

Moses was a Christian hedonist. In Heb 11:24 it says Moses considered abuse suffered for God greater wealth than all the treasures of Egypt.

David was a Christian hedonist.
He wrote, "delight yourself in the Lord." Ps 37:4

Paul commended Christian hedonism in Romans 12:8, "Let him who does acts of mercy do them with cheerfulness.

..and the ultimate Christian hedonist, Jesus Christ. "His delight was the fear of the Lord."
Is 11:3.

The desire to be happy is God given and should not be denied or resisted but directed to God for satisfaction!

Buddy said...

Amen! You forgot to add to that list Mark M. is a Christian Hedonist. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm the worst type, but I'm workintg on it.