Sunday, February 4, 2007

The "Who" and the "How"

A quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will come out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming."

A group of us went to the Chris Tomlin concert (with Matt Redman and Louie Giglio) last Friday in Dallas . I felt so elated to be in a place with several thousands of others, just worshiping God with complete fervency and abandon. I thought of this quote from Emerson and thought about that experience.

I am convinced that we are transformed not only by what we worship, but also how we worship. I walked out of that theater on Friday more resolved than ever to hunger for and to cultivate a reckless abandon for God and His glory. I'm not just talking about the 20 minute set on Sunday morning, but the longing that I have that my devotion to the Lord would so dominate my imagination and thoughts that it would transform my life, character and identity into something that is pleasing to Him. I believe that is how a praise and worship set should always effect the participants. May I ever be so careful of who and how I worship!

4 comments:

Cherie said...

cherie said...
I started my worship of God today as I rolled over and cuddled with you this morning, taking 15 min. to pray silently for your day and that you would live today in a way that would be pleasing to God. I continued to worship as I administered medicine to our 8 yr. old daughter. Then I worshipped while I tackled the pile of laundry on our bedroom floor, had my quiet time and a cup of coffee. My worship will be manifest as I herd our daughters out the door to take an elderly woman we know to the Dr. Then I will persevere in worship as I teach my children their school lessons. Later this afternoon the girls and I will worship together as we take a package of diapers to a young man we met last week, whose girlfriend just had their first child. I will go on worshipping all day... looking for ways to be obedient to God and to share Christ love with whomever God leads into my day. It doesn't sound very reckless, but I try to do it with complete abandon.
I even worship now as I type these words of encouragement to you. I am so very grateful to the Lord for giving me a husband who hungers and thirsts after Him. I love you. KEEP WORSHIPPING!
Romans 12:1 "Therfore I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God- this is your spiritual act of worship."
February 5, 2007 8:18 AM

Anonymous said...

It really was a great night. Thanks for organizing it for us all. I think everyone received a huge blessing by being there!

Anonymous said...

Go Matt Redman!
Thanks for allowing me to be a part your group and "Thats Worship"

Buddy said...

Shame on us all if we don't do it again very soon!!!