Monday, July 30, 2007

No substitute

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind. I have had so much activity and so many things going that it seemed I was going at a 'fever pitched" just to get to the essentials.

I have observed the same situation in the lives of many around me. It seems everyone I know is rushing. I wonder if this is a new phenomena of our times, or if our parents were the same way but we just didn't notice?

On Friday I was tired. The Lord reminded me that the activity that I do FOR Him is fine, but it is never a sustitue for HIM. So I repented.

There is a song I heard that says, "you can get what's second best, but you can never get enough". I believe this. I wonder if that is really the reason we work ourselves to these frenzies in activity for Him? Second best is easy. Its tangible. It feels great while were doing it. We can even falsely validate ourselves - "look at me doing this great service for God...!"

The Lord needs nothing from me. The only thing I really need is Him.

I suspect that if our age could get hold of this, it would result in more blank spaces on our calenders, less family casualties falling victim to "ministry", deeper devotion to God, and a stronger more effective church in our time.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Yeaaa...does that mean we get to come home some night this week before 10? And that you won't keep the girls out til 2 am anymore:)?

Anonymous said...

--Just want to point out that I have gotten' to bed 2...count them, TWO! times before midnight this week :)