Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Parting ways...

Everybody worships something and music is a giant expression of that.

Yesterday we went to Six Flags over Texas. After a couple of hours of being beaten down by the sun we decided to catch a show for some rest and AC. We went to the Southern Palace because it was the show closest to where we were. The show was called "Extreme Country" which I knew would not be my "cup of tea" from the title, but I figured it would be better than the "Extreme Heat" outside. I was wrong.

Maybe I'm just becoming a prude (after all I just turned 40), but it was too difficult to sit there with my wife and 6 and 8 year old daughters watching the performers sing and move to a song called "Save a horse, Ride a cowboy". I guess I figured out what they meant by "extreme". For me the heat at that moment was better outside than inside so I got my girls and we left.

It just saddened me that so many others were there (lots of children and parents) who sat and rapturously consumed everything that was being celebrated on the stage. It really was a type of 'worship" as people celebrated what to them was "good" and "fun".

I was just reminded of the fact that because of Christ (the one I worship), me and the world have parted ways. So if you head to Six Flags you may want to keep some ice water in hand, either to beat the extreme heat outside or to splash on some Extreme Country dancers should they get around your kids. :)

12 comments:

mandy said...

yeah.....
i don't know if its 'cause i'm gettin' older, but the music industry seems to be less and less interesting for me....
and the messages within pop lyrics can be QUITE disturbing.
glad you grabbed your girls and left.
amen

Anonymous said...

Most people wouldn't be so bold as to leave. Way to stand up for your convictions!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Buddy. If more of God's people would do that, a lot of things would be different.

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity for evangelism! You could have clicked your spurs, jumped on the stage, and broke out in a chorus of "Yee Haw Yippee Yie Yippee Yie Yay Pioneer Cowboys for Jesus"...(or however the song went) ;0)

Buddy said...

Wow Julie! I only have one thing to say: "What a pioneer knows, you gotta be a pioneer to know", and you my friend are obviously not a pioneer!

Cherie said...

Buddy...I disagree...Julie is absolutely a pioneer. Didn't you just hear her tell you tonight that if she could travel thru time she would go back to the "little house on the prairie days"?
And regarding 6 flags...I was ready to walk out on Xtreme Country after the first song!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cherie!

....GIRLS UNITE!!!...

Anonymous said...

What happened to the good ole Batman show days? Ahhh...the 90s...those were the days.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the 90s (the good ole days?); how about the 60s, Kenya, when the Batman shows first came out? Oh yeah, you didn't know about the 60s did you? Better ask your mom. Uh, scratch that, you'd better ask your dad!

Anonymous said...

yeah...dale...you might be right...but the 90s were the extent of my childhood...full house, family matters, big bangs and bows...and the macarena!

Anonymous said...

oh...i forgot...backstreet boys and nsync...my first true loves!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, Kenya. I do remember Danny Tanner and brother-in-law Jesse with the big man hair. Then there were the bows, poofy hair on women, leggings, parachute pants, and another group you didn't mention, the CARS. Oops, I think that was the late 80s, sorry! I got a little carried away while reminiscing.

P.S. Your dad did remember, didn't he. Don't let him fool you, he had 4 or 5 pairs of those parachute pants with matching muscle shirts!